Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Bewilderment

Hey everyone. I hope you’re all having fantastical adventures in your respective lives. Me? Yeah, I’m doing pretty well. But right now I just have to take a moment from my life to stop and vocally (typing-ly?) puzzle over something that I’ve been confused by for a long time. 


Three year olds. 



Photo courtesy of luvimages.com

Over the brief span of time I have been teaching pre-ballet, there have been times when I literally have to just stand there and wrack my brain attempting to comprehend these… creatures. This is a short compilation exemplifying what I have witnessed:
  1. Children who are completely at peace at one moment, then wildly bawling the next. 
  2. Children violently throwing themselves into the mirror. Then laughing hysterically. Repeat.
  3. Children asking me, “Do you know about taxes?” Then saying, and I quote, “Taxes are like woh woh, woh woh!” 
  4. Children who get a turn at “ballet duck-duck-goose” and then never. say. goose. 
  5. Children getting down on all fours and sniffing the floor repeatedly. 
  6. Children who, when I inquire if they are pretending to be a dog by crawling around and sniffing the floor, look up, stared at me wordlessly, and then proceed to crawl and sniff some more. 
  7. Children demanding “doughnuts on our rainbows!” What does this mean? I have no doughnuts. 
  8. Children spanking my butt. 
  9. Children laughing when I say, “butt.” 
  10. Children who for some inexplicable reason, do not want to be Cinderella, but really, really, REALLY want to be the birds that bring Cinderella her ribbon...?
  11. Children who, instead of doing skips across the floor, decide to climb onto an imaginary witch’s broom and fly across the floor, cackling evilly. 
I mean, what? Just… what? I do not… I feel like my brain has lost the ability to comprehend. I guess I can understand wanting to be a bird, but what am I supposed to say when a small child says, “My mommy and daddy fight all the time”? Stepping into that room is always a movement into the unknown, except the unknown generally involves sparkles and gallops and endless repetitions of “don’t touch that!” Fortunately, I can almost always appreciate this.

Anyways, just had to get that all out. See you soon!

1 comment:

  1. After the age of 3, they're no longer simpletons who laugh at "butt." At 4, they become little people. With preferences and distastes. "Mommy don't get the wonder bread, it's nasty" this, and "Daddy I need a new kitchen" that... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete